Joseph G. Braunreuther
Joe Braunreuther spent 20 years in-house at Johnson & Johnson (J&J), including serving as the company’s first Deputy General Counsel. In that role, he had global responsibilities across numerous businesses in the pharmaceutical, medical device, and consumer sectors and served as a trusted advisor to the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors. Mr. Braunreuther played a large role in managing the Law Department and led the Litigation Group, overseeing litigation worldwide. He also had oversight of the Global Security team and the Global Brand Protection team.
During his tenure at J&J, Mr. Braunreuther led the resolution of some of the most significant legal challenges facing the company, including defending J&J from high-risk product liability cases, critical patent litigation regarding key products, and commercial litigation arising out of life sciences agreements such as joint venture agreements, co-development agreements, supply contracts and license agreements. He was also responsible for leading J&J’s global dispute resolutions, and interfaced with the leading dispute resolution organizations on behalf of the company.
Prior to joining J&J, Mr. Braunreuther was a senior leader at the US Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey, including serving as Executive Assistant United States Attorney, where he handled major criminal and civil matters including trying numerous cases involving financial fraud, organized crime, and political corruption. He represented numerous government agencies including, the Securities Exchange Commission, the Department of Health Human Services, the Environmental Protection Agency, and the Food & Drug Administration. Mr. Braunreuther also has extensive experience at private law firms, including as a partner at an international law firm.
Areas of Expertise:
- PRODUCT LIABILITY
- COMPLEX COMMERCIAL LITIGATION ARISING OUT OF LIFE SCIENCE AGREEMENTS
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
- CONSUMER CLASS ACTIONS
- PHARMACEUTICAL AND MEDICAL DEVICES
Mr. Braunreuther received his B.S. from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy and his J.D. from St. John’s University School of Law. He is admitted to practice in New Jersey and New York and the U.S. District Court Eastern and Southern Districts of New York.
Mr. Braunreuther was responsible for numerous high stake patent cases focusing on pharmaceuticals and medical devices in Federal District courts, the Federal Circuit, the International Trade Commission (ITC) and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). Selected examples:
- Medical Devices:
- Stents used to treat cardiovascular conditions
- Surgical instrumentation
- Robotic surgery products
- Hatch Waxman ANDA litigation pertaining to:
- Remicade – treatment of autoimmune disease
- Zytiga – treatment of prostate cancer
- Xarelto – Anticoagulant
- Prezista – treatment of HIV
- Risperdal Consta – antipsychotic treatment
- Invokana – diabetes treatment
- Imbruvica – treatment of certain cancers
Mr. Braunreuther has extensive experience with mass tort litigation involving pharmaceutical, consumer and medical device products.
Selected examples for Medical Device cases
- Hip Acetabular Cup System (pinnacle) hip replacement device
- Pelvic mesh implants used to treat stress urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse
- Selected examples involving pharmaceutical products including mass tort litigation
- Risperdal – antipsychotic treatment
- Xarelto- Anticoagulant
- Invokana – treatment of diabetes
- Selected examples involving consumer products
- Baby powder containing talc
GOVERNMENT INVESTIGATIONS AND PARALLEL PROCEEDINGS
Mr. Braunreuther has extensive experience handling parallel proceedings involving overlapping civil litigation, regulatory action, federal and state attorneys general investigations, congressional inquiries, and federal qui tam actions. He has extensive experience in conducting internal investigations and reporting to senior management and the Board of Directors on the results of internal investigations. His experience includes successful resolution of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Qui Tam actions and complex regulatory actions.
COMPLEX COMMERCIAL LITIGATION
Mr. Braunreuther has extensive experience in litigating and resolving large commercial disputes, which involved lengthy trials, arbitrations or through creative settlement arrangements. Mr. Braunreuther has particularly strong experience with disputes arising out of life science business relationships including co-development agreements, licenses, and supply agreements.
Complex Civil litigation experience includes large class actions, consumer fraud cases, and antitrust/ unfair competition cases. Selected examples:
- Remicade – Antitrust litigation regarding contracting practices
- Average Wholesale Price litigation – litigation regarding reported pricing for pharmaceutical products
- Opioids – litigation regarding sale and marketing of pharmaceutical products containing opioids