Judge Paul R. Matia (Retired)
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Arbitrator & Mediator
Paul Matia became a federal district court judge in 1991 in the Northern District of Ohio, and was Chief Judge of that court from 1999 to 2004. He also sat by designation on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit during his tenure as a district court judge. From 1991 to 1985, he served as a judge of the Cuyahoga County (Ohio) Court of Common Pleas. He served for eight years as a member of the Ohio Senate (1971 to 1975 and 1979 to 1983) and was an Assistant Attorney General of Ohio. His current private practice specialized in alternative dispute resolution, as well as class actions and other litigation.
He is a graduate of Harvard Law School (J.D. 1962) and Case Western Reserve University (A.B. 1959).
Judge Paul Matia Selected Cases:
- Arnett v. Jackson, 393 F. 3d 681 (6th Cir.,2005), cert. den. 126 S. Ct. 207 (2005) (Sentencing, 14th Amendment)
- Appalachian Res. Dev. Corp. v. McCabe, 387 F. 3d 461 (6th Cir. 2004) (Gun Control Act)
- Eastwood Mall v. United States, 95-1 U.S. Tax Cas. (CCH) P50,236 (N.D. Ohio 1995) (federal taxation)
- National Football League v. Rondor, Inc., 840 F. Supp. 1160 (N.D.Ohio 1993) (copyright)
- United States v. Cantu, 229 F. 3d 544 (6th Cir. 2000) (Juror replacement)
- In re Corrpro Secs. Litig., 2003 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 22869 (N.D. Ohio 2003), aff’d sub nom. Stambaugh v. Corrpro Cos., 2004 U.S. App. LEXIS 24103 (6th Cir. 2004) (Securities fraud)
- In re Century Bus. Servs. Secs. Litig., 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 26964 (N.D. Ohio 2002), aff’d sub nom. Darby v. Century Business Services, Inc., 96 Fed. Appx. 277 (6th Cir. 2004) (Securities litigation)