Judge Faith S. Hochberg (Retired)
U.S. District Court, New Jersey
Arbitrator & Mediator
The Honorable Faith Hochberg is a nationally recognized Federal Judge and former United States Attorney known for her broad expertise in complex corporate, patent, securities, antitrust, insurance, banking and employment litigation. Judge Hochberg retired from the bench in March, 2015. She now serves as an independent mediator and arbitrator.
Judge Faith S. Hochberg was twice nominated by President Clinton and confirmed by the Senate, first as United States Attorney and then as a United States District Judge. During her tenure on the bench, she has presided over many MDL cases and class actions involving pharmaceuticals, antitrust, insurance cases. She has presided over more than one hundred patent cases and has been invited to speak nationwide and abroad about patent litigation, trade secrets and employment law, and ADR. She has been a Patent Pilot judge and was vice chair of the Local Patent Rules Committee in the District of New Jersey. She is co-chair of the Judges Committee of the Federal Circuit Bar Association.
Prior to ascending the bench, Judge Faith Hochberg served as the United States Attorney for the District of New Jersey, and served on the Attorney General’s Advisory Committee at the Department of Justice. She previously served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Treasury, where her responsibilities included supervision of the Office of Foreign Assets Control, Bank Secrecy Act enforcement, and leading the Treasury’s international anti-money laundering initiatives. She was also responsible for oversight of the Secret Service, the Customs Service and the ATF. Earlier in her career, Judge Hochberg served as Senior Deputy Chief Counsel of the Office of Thrift Supervision, where she created and led enforcement of compliance and financial risk reforms in the banking industry, and as Special Assistant to the Chairman of the SEC.
Judge Faith Hochberg has been named the first Fellow of the Innovation Center for Law and Technology at New York Law School, in recognition of her contribution to the law of patents and technology.
She also served on the Board of the Lasker Foundation, renowned for its dedication to science and medicine. She has received an honorary degree and has been honored by the International Women’s Forum; the Harvard Law School Women’s Alliance; Seton Hall Law School; and numerous federal agencies.
Judge Faith Hochberg graduated from Harvard Law School with a J.D., magna cum laude, where she was an Editor of the Harvard Law Review. She graduated, summa cum laude, from Tufts University.
Judge Faith Hochberg Selected Judicial Opinions:
- Magistrini v. One Hour Martinizing Dry Cleaning, 180 F. Supp. 2d 584 (D.N.J. 2002) aff’d, 68 F. App’x 356 (3d Cir. 2003).
- Fuji Photo Film Co. v. Jazz Photo Corp., 249 F. Supp. 2d 434 (D.N.J. 2003) aff’d, 394 F.3d 1368 (Fed. Cir. 2005).
- Ibormeith IP, LLC v. Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC, 889 F. Supp. 2d 677 (D.N.J. 2012) aff’d, 732 F.3d 1376 (Fed. Cir. 2013).
- Bavendam v. Pearson Educ., Inc., No. CIV. 13-3096 FSH, 2013 WL 5530008 (D.N.J. Oct. 3, 2013).
- In re Neurontin Antitrust Litig., No. 02-1390, 2009 WL 2751029 (D.N.J. Aug. 28, 2009).
- Organon Inc. v. Mylan Pharm., Inc., 293 F. Supp. 2d 453 (D.N.J. 2003).
- Secor View Technologies LLC v. Nissan N. Am., Inc., No. CIV. 12-3306 FSH, 2013 WL 6147788 (D.N.J. Nov. 21, 2013).
- In re Gabapentin Patent Litig., 649 F. Supp. 2d 340 (D.N.J. 2009).
- Beye v. Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, 568 F. Supp. 2d 556 (D.N.J. 2008).
- Light v. Nat’l Union Fire Ins. Co. of Pittsburgh, P.A., No. CIV. 08-2534 (FSH), 2008 WL 5233867 (D.N.J. Dec. 12, 2008).
- Doll v. Port Auth. Trans-Hudson Corp., 92 F. Supp. 2d 416 (D.N.J. 2000) aff’d, 261 F.3d 491 (3d Cir. 2001).
- In re Bradley Pharm., Inc. Sec. Litig., 421 F. Supp. 2d 822 (D.N.J. 2006).
- Portfolio Fin. Servicing Co. ex rel. Jacom Computer Servs. v. Sharemax.com, Inc., 334 F. Supp. 2d 620, 624 (D.N.J. 2004).
- Joc, Inc. v. Exxonmobil Oil Corp., No. CIV 08-5344 (FSH), 2010 WL 1380750, at *5 (D.N.J. Apr. 1, 2010).
- Dewey v. Volkswagen AG, 558 F. Supp. 2d 505 (D.N.J. 2008).
- Motors Corp. v. New A.C. Chevrolet, Inc., 91 F. Supp. 2d 733 (D.N.J. 2000) aff’d, 263 F.3d 296 (3d Cir. 2001).
- Jacobsen v. Katzer, 535 F.3d 1373, 1375 (Fed. Cir. 2008).
Judge Hochberg has presented at numerous events including the following:
- NJIPLA Chemical Practice, 2012
- Federal Circuit Bar Association Bench and Bar Conference, 2013
- ChIPs Women in IP Global Summit, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Federal Circuit Year in Review, 2013
- Foley & Lardner IP Conference, 2013, 2016
- NYU Law School Institute for Employment Law Workshop for Judges, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Patent Law Institute, 2013, 2016
- Federal Circuit Bar Association Regional Patent Law Program, 2013
- PLI Trade Secrets, 2013, 2014
- PLI Class Action Litigation, 2013
- Sedona Conference, 2013 2014, 2015, 2016
- 8th Patent Law Institute, 2014
- CLE Conference – Intellectual Property, 2014
- The George Washington University Intellectual Property Symposium, 2014
- Harris Martin’s Mass Torts Conference, 2014
- PLI Employment Law, 2014
- PLI Trade Secrets Live Webcast, 2014
- PLI USPTO Post Grant Patent Trials, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Rocky Mountain IP & Tech Conference Judicial Panel, 2014
- Stanford IP Law and the Biosciences Conference, 2014, 2016
- USC IP Institute Gould Law School, University of Southern California, 2014, 2015
- IPO Annual Meeting 2014, 2016
- ACI Conference on Medical Device Patents, 2015
- ACI Advanced Forum on Resolving & Litigating Advertising Disputes, 2015
- ACI Conference Women Leaders in Insurance Defense, Claims and Compliance, 2015
- AIPLA Annual Meeting, 2015, 2016
- NYIPLA Patent Seminar, 2015
- Women’s Power Summit on Law & Leadership, 2015
- NY Commercial Arbitrators, 2015
- SMU Panel Dallas, 2015
- Dunlop & Dunlop Lecture, 2015
- Advance Conflict Waivers: How to Avoid Unpleasant Surprises, 2015
- PLI Section 1983 Civil Rights Litigation, 2015
- Standards & FRAND. 2015
- ITC Trial Lawyers Association, 2015
- NYU Roundtable: Arbitration Law and Class Actions, 2015
- NYIPLA CLE Infringement Panel, 2015
- FTI Win/ All Women’s Event, 2015
- ACI Conference on Paragraph IV Disputes, 2016
- ABA Litigation Section Conference: Class Action Litigation in America, 2016
- The University of Akron School of Law Conference on Patent Law, 2016
- University of TexasAdvanced Patent Law Institute, 2016, 2017
- The 13th Annual Patents for Financial Services Summit, 2016
- Global Pound Conference, 2016
- Silicon Valley Association of General Counsel Annual Meeting, 2016
- Institute for Transnational Arbitration: Emergency Arbitrators and Interim Measures in International Arbitration, 2016
- US IP Litigation and Licensing: Strategies for Taiwan Companies, 2016
- IP Counsel Cafe, 2016
- TIPS National Class Action Symposium, 2016
- University of Akron Law School : 4th Annual Patent Experts Conference, 2016
- Young International Arb Practitioners, 2016
- CPR Banking & Financial Services Committee Presentation, 2016
- University of Akron Law School: Best Practices Panel Discussion, 2016
- IP Year in Review & Ethics, 2016
- Standford IP Conference, 2016
- ACI Biosimilars Conference, 2016
- Institute for Transnational Arbitration, 2016
- Consortium Women in Law, 2016
- Patents for Financial Services, 2016
- PLUS Conference, 2016
- Naples Patent Expert Conference, 2016
- Standards Essential Patents & Competition Law, London, 2016
- All Hands Conference, 2016
- Naples Roundtable, 2017
- AIPLA Mid-Year Conference, 2017